What is a Shop Captain and a Shop Manager?
A Shop Captain is a volunteer leader that takes responsibility for the operations of a smaller area, or shop, of the Makerspace. Shop captains work as a team. The Shop Manager is an existing Shop Captain who takes responsibility for setting meetings and distributing information to Shop Captains.
Who are the current shop captains?
- 3D Printing
- Automotive Repair
- Media Lab
- Metal Shop
- Print Lab
- Textiles Studio
- Wood Shop
Roles and Responsibilities
Shop captains are the individuals who are responsible for the following:
Facilities & Maintenance Duties
- Ensuring equipment is maintained
- Ensuring consumables are replenished on a regular basis (like welding wire, for example)
- Prioritizing shop safety and creating/posting signage in the shop with policies
- Establishing shop policies and sharing them with members and shop users
- Ensuring that proper safety equipment is available.
- Keeping all shop-related information up to date on this Wiki
- Communicating problems or issues to the Executive Director.
- Making sure that members using the shops have access to resources to learn to safely operate the tools
- Leading shop orientations if no other teacher is available
- Helping find qualified instructors to teach workshops and to mentor members
- Making sure that there are classes and programming scheduled regularly in their shop
- Planning for the growth and improvement of the shop
Shop Growth Duties
- Helping find better tools through donations
- Being a point of communication with donors that provide tools or resources for their shop
- Engaging members in growing and improving their shop
Shop Manager Roles and Responsibilities
In addition to any regular shop duties, the Shop Manager is responsible for
- Scheduling regular shop captain meetings
- Helping onboard new shop captains
- Checking your corresponding Shop Channel on Slack each day to keep abreast of news and needs